Tuesday 29 November 2011

Imagine you have written a short story, film, or play about your last four years. Briefly describe the moment or scene that you think your audience will most remember after they have finished this autobiographical piece. What will they learn about you from that moment? (Northwestern)


-         I have always studied in an international boarding school. I never get to meet my family, but only during the summer and winter vacations. I do enjoy school and my friends, but there are times when I miss home too.
-         Today was the last day of school.  I had just finished my French exam, and my teacher said I was excellent at it. I walked over to my hostel to pack up. It was exciting. The feeling you get when you just can’t stop thinking about going back home. Although, home wasn’t really home for me. My real home was in Bhutan and Belgium was just where my Mom worked. It is also the place I will be living for the next few years too, but, it is still as good as home.
-         As I was saying. The feeling of excitement of not only going back home or meeting my parents but also to go on a short trip along with friends. I would be dropped outside the airport by the school chaperons and I would go on from then. I was used to going alone on flights and trips. I’ve been travelling alone since I was in the 6th grade.
-         I had just gone through the usual. Security checks, purchasing boarding pass, checking whether my passport was there or not, and checking whether my bag was locked and safe. I was a pro at this. I’ve been through so many flights that it’s a breeze to walk pass immigrations.
-         I sit down, trying to get my mind of the excitement. The excitement of going back home and meeting my family. I had always enjoyed flights, especially when the plane took off. I was used to it. I sat comfortably, watching a movie from the touch screen TV attached to the front seat. During the movie, I would fall asleep and then I would notice myself on the Brussels international Airport. Time passed so fast, it was as if I was just watching a movie a minute ago. Hell, it was as if I had just left school an hour ago. It was like a dream. I had finally reached my destination.
-         I walked through immigrations, security check and the usual. Then as I carry the trolley to the gate. My excitement had increased. My heart started to pound. I was going to meet my mother from after half a year.
-         As I walk through the gate. I look around the area, looking to catch a glimpse of my mother. It was then I saw a small lady wearing a black overcoat with spectacles. It was my mom. She was waving at me from a far and without hesitation; I smiled and dragged my trolley over her way.  I stopped the trolley a few feet back so I could have space to hug my mom. The moment when you get the feeling of relief after long hours, days and months of studying. The moment when you know you wouldn’t need to worry as the person who took care of me ever since I was born was there. The moment when she sheds a tear of joy to see you after a long time. The moment when my mother hugs me so hard I can’t breathe. The moment of joy.
-         This moment would be mostly remembered by the audience as it brings a description of joy, love and respect after meeting a loved one after half a year’s leave.   

No comments:

Post a Comment